Cadet Speak Off
Please join us in 2019 for the Maryland Wing Cadet Speak Off
Details on date/location to be announced.
All cadets are encouraged to participate in the 2019 Cadet Speak-Off! This is a great opportunity for cadets to enhance their speaking skills in the spirit of friendly competition. Cadets may elect to compete in one or more of the competition categories (detailed description below).
Feel free to contact us with any questions!
OIC: Maj. Rachel Knowles, CAP
4. Drug Demand Reduction
To develop communications skills which will allow cadets to promote Civil Air Patrol and Drug Demand Reduction.
1. Increase bearing, manner, and poise.
2. Broaden the Cadet program by offering a competitive activity, which provides individual training and competition.
3. Gain recognition of Civil Air Patrol by complimenting programs of other organizations.
4. Increase public relations activities and resources.
1. BASIC speakers may enter this category if they will have not yet passed their 16th birthday. Speeches will be 3 to 5 minutes in length.
2. ADVANCED speakers may enter this category regardless of age. Speeches will be 5 to 7 minutes in length.
3. IMPROMPTU speakers may enter this category regardless of age. Speeches will be 2 to 2 ½ minutes in length.
4. DRUG DEMAND REDUCTION speakers may enter this category regardless of age. This is a 5 minute prepared speech. Participating cadets will prepare a speech on a topic related to Civil Air Patrol and will incorporate a theme of responsible choices or a drug-free message.
a) Explain why America’s Aerospace power is related to the Drug Demand Reduction Program
and is vital to National Security.
b) Describe leadership mistakes you have made in being a leader who leads peers to make
c) Explain the difference between followership and leadership and how it relates to the Drug
Demand Reduction program.
d) How can CAP cadets make a difference in their communities for a drug‐free world?
e) What is the most critical issue facing our nation in relation to drugs and alcohol? Why do you
think so? What can be done to alleviate the critical nature of this issue?
1. Wing competition will have at least three judges, as many as possible to be Toastmasters members.
2. Judges will use current Toastmasters score sheet.
3. Each speaking category must include at least three contestants to declare a winner.
4. All speech topics (except DDR) will be on an aerospace subject, directed to an audience not necessarily familiar with Civil Air Patrol.
5. Colored cards will be used to indicate when the speaker has used 3, 4 or 5 minutes for BASIC speakers; 5, 6 or 7 minutes for ADVANCED speakers; or 2, 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 minutes for IMPROMPTU.
6. Cadets may be disqualified for: speaking more than 30 seconds over time; using specialized jargon or slang, speaking in other than a conversational style for more than one minute or using visual aids or models.
8. A cadet may not compete in a category previously won at wing level.
9. Timing will start for impromptu at the moment the host leaves the stage after giving the topic. Topic may be given from off stage to start timing. A 30-second “thought-gathering” period may be allowed after the topic is given. This will be decided prior to the first speech.
10. Cadets using the DDR speech for their Armstrong or Eaker credit may go to a length of 7 minutes with no penalty.