MSgt David C. Tolson
MSgt David C. Tolson is the 175th Mission Support Group First Sergeant, 175th Wing, Warfield Air National Guard Base, Maryland Air National Guard (MDANG) in Baltimore, Md. He is responsible for advising the Group Commander and key leaders on issues that impact the enlisted force and their mission. He oversees various group programs with the purpose of maintaining readiness, discipline, morale, and welfare for the organization, while functioning as a focal point to the group’s enlisted force. He provides professional guidance and monitors administrative actions, performance reports, awards, decorations, promotions, professional military education, and family care programs.
MSgt Tolson entered active duty in the Air Force September 25, 1986. He graduated Basic Military Training and the Law Enforcement Specialist Course at Lackland Air Force Base (AFB), Texas in January 1987. He was assigned to Clark Air Base (CAB), Republic of the Philippines (RP) to the 3rd Law Enforcement Squadron. His assignments have included Law Enforcement Specialist, Aeromedical Evacuation Specialist, Flight Medic Maryland Army National Guard (MDArNG), Air Transportation Specialist, and C-130J Loadmaster. From March 1998 until October 2000 MSgt Tolson was a Specialist in the Maryland Army National Guard. He completed the Flight Medic Course in Fort Rucker, Ala. as an honor graduate. He has deployed in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, NORTHERN WATCH, JOINT ENTERPRISE, CORONET OAK, SABER STRIKE, BALTIMORE RALLY, STEADFAST GUARDIAN, ALLIES REFUGE, ALLIES WELCOME and INHERENT RESOLVE. Prior to assuming his current position, he served as 175th Small Air Terminal Operations Noncommissioned Officer in Charge and Acting First Sergeant for the 175th Logistics Readiness Squadron and First Sergeant, 175th Medical Group.
MSgt Tolson is a retired Sergeant of the Unites States Park Police (USPP) where he was employed from October 1993 to December 2018. He served as a Patrol Officer, Rescue Technician (Flight Paramedic) Federal Law Enforcement Training Center Instructor, Patrol Sergeant, District of Columbia Court Liaison to the Office of Attorney General and U.S. District Court, and Rescue Technician Sergeant. His most recent assignment was to the USPP Aviation Section. He was awarded the Navy Superior Civilian Medal for Valor for his actions in the mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard in September, 2016. He has received the Medal of Merit from the U.S. Capitol Police, Washington Metropolitan Police and USPP, their agencies second highest award, for the rescue of U.S. Congressman Steven Scalise from the active shooter incident in June of 2017.
1988 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course in residence, CAB, RP (John L. Levitow Award Winner)
2007 Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2013 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2022 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I &II
1. February 1987–June 1989, Law Enforcement Specialist, Emergency Services Team, CAB, RP
2. June 1989–March 1990, Law Enforcement Specialist, Headquarters Elite Guard, AF Logistics Command, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. March 1990–December 1993, Aeromedical Evacuation Specialist, 60th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron. (AFRC), Andrews AFB, Maryland
4. January 1995–March 1998, Air Transportation Specialist, 167th Aerial Port Squadron, West Virginia Air National Guard, Martinsburg, W.Va.
5. March 1998–October 2000, Flight Medic, 104th Medical Company (Air Ambulance), MDArNG, Edgewood Area, Md.
6. October 2000–September 2003, Air Transportation Specialist, 165th Aerial Port Squadron, Georgia Air National Guard, Savannah, Ga.
7. September 2003–October 2005, Air Transportation Specialist Craftsman, 135th Aerial Port Flight, MDANG, Baltimore Md.
8. October 2005–October 2012, C-130J Loadmaster Craftsman, 135th Airlift Squadron, MDANG, Baltimore, Md.
9. October 2012–October 2017, Air Transportation Specialist Craftsman 175th Small Air Terminal, MDANG, Baltimore, Md.
10. October 2017–February 2020, First Sergeant, 175th Medical Group, MDANG, Baltimore, Md.
11. February 2020--Present, First Sergeant, 175th Mission Support Group, MDANG, Baltimore, Md.
Rating: senior loadmaster
Flight hours: more than 1,667, including more than 60 combat missions
Aircraft flown: CC130J, C130J
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Maryland Outstanding Airmen of the Year Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic, 25 September 1986
Airman First Class, 1 November 1986
Senior Airman (Below the Zone), 1 September 1988
Sergeant, 1 September 1989
Staff Sergeant, 1 December 2002
Technical Sergeant, 1 December 2005
Master Sergeant, 6 January 2015